our garage door is more than just a protective barrier for your vehicle; it’s a sophisticated system of various components working in unison.
One of the most essential elements ensuring your garage door’s safety and smooth operation is the garage door sensor.
This guide will cover how to align garage door sensors, bypass them if necessary, and the role of the garage door opener sensor.
Garage door sensors play a pivotal role in ensuring the safety of your garage door operations. Typically located near the floor on either side of the garage door, these sensors detect any obstructions that could be in the way of a closing door. They have become standard for most modern garage doors, ensuring that no accidents or damage occurs.
How to Align Garage Door Sensors
Misaligned sensors can prevent your garage door from functioning correctly. Here’s a simple step-by-step process to align them:
- Turn Off Power: Before beginning, switch off the garage door opener for safety.
- Loosen the Sensors: Using a screwdriver, slightly loosen the screws holding the sensors in place, allowing them to be moved but not completely detached.
- Align Using a Level: Place a level on the sensor’s top. Tilt the sensor until it’s level and in direct line with the opposing sensor.
- Tighten the Screws: Once aligned, tighten the screws to hold the sensors in place.
- Test: Open and close the garage door to ensure the sensors are working correctly. If the door closes without interruptions, they are well-aligned.
How to Bypass Garage Door Sensors
There could be situations where you might need to bypass the sensors temporarily. Here’s how:
- Disconnect Power: Turn off the garage door opener for safety reasons.
- Locate the Sensors: Find the sensors attached to the garage door track.
- Detach the Sensors: Carefully disconnect the wires connected to the sensors.
- Reconnect Power and Test: Turn on the garage door opener and operate the door. If it works without stopping, you have successfully bypassed the sensors.
Caution: Bypassing garage door sensors can be risky, as the door won’t stop for obstructions. Only bypass them temporarily and always re-connect them afterward.
Need help from an expert? Click here.
Garage Door Opener Sensor
The garage door opener sensor is an integral part of the garage door system, ensuring the door operates safely. This sensor detects obstructions, stopping or reversing the door if something is in its path.
Regularly inspect and test your garage door opener sensor to ensure it’s in perfect working condition.
Garage door sensors are crucial for the safety and functionality of your garage door system. Whether you’re aligning, bypassing, or simply checking your garage door opener sensor, it’s vital to ensure they’re in top condition.
However, if you ever feel uncertain about handling these tasks or face any issues, remember to seek professional assistance. The experts at The Garage Door Repair Guys of Edmonton are always available to provide top-notch services and solutions for all your garage door needs.
Prioritize safety, and don’t hesitate to call in the pros when required.