Garages are an integral part of many homes, offering security, storage, and even aesthetic appeal. A crucial element of any garage is the door.
With several types of garage doors available today, homeowners have a wealth of options to choose from.
In this guide, we’ll explore popular garage door options and help you understand which garage door type might be the best fit for your home.
The type of garage door you choose can impact not only the functionality of your garage but also the curb appeal of your entire home.
From traditional to contemporary designs, the market offers a range of garage door types tailored to meet diverse needs and preferences.
1. Sectional Garage Doors
The most common type in the U.S., sectional doors are composed of panel sections connected by hinges. As the door opens or closes, wheels at the edge of each panel roll inside a vertical track.
- Space-saving as they rise vertically.
- Sealed well against the elements.
2. Roll-Up Garage Doors
Often used in commercial settings, roll-up doors are becoming popular in contemporary homes. They roll up into a coil above the opening.
- Durable and can withstand heavy usage.
- Require minimal overhead space.
3. Slide to the Side Garage Doors
These garage door types operate by bending to one side of the garage and sitting parallel to the wall. They were among the first operating styles and are ideal for garages with little headroom.
- No overhead space is required.
- Comes with a built-in retractable motor for automated operation.
4. Side-Hinged Garage Doors
Resembling large barn doors, these swing open and close from a hinged frame on either side of the opening. They’re making a comeback for their vintage charm.
- Perfect for garages with obstructions or limited headroom.
- Easily automated with conversion arms.
5. Tilt-Up/Up and Over Canopy Garage Doors
These doors are a single piece that tilts out from the bottom and slides up to sit parallel to the garage ceiling.
- Smooth operation.
- No tracks inside the garage.
6. Tilt-Up/Up and Over Retractable Garage Doors
Similar to the canopy style but requires more space. They lift up into the garage along horizontal tracks.
- More straightforward to automate than the canopy style.
- Provides more drive-through width.
Choosing Your Garage Door
When exploring garage door options, consider factors like:
- Space: Some doors, like slide-to-the-side or side-hinged, might be better suited for garages with limited space.
- Aesthetics: Your garage door should complement your home’s architectural style and design.
- Functionality and Frequency of Use: If you use your garage frequently, consider durable options like roll-up doors.
- Budget: Different garage door types come at varied price points. Determine what fits within your budget without compromising on quality and functionality.
In trouble choosing the right type? Click here for help.
Selecting the right garage door type is crucial for functionality, aesthetics, and safety. From the traditional side-hinged style to the space-saving roll-up design, there’s an option for every home.
If you’re ever unsure about which garage door type to choose or need expert installation and maintenance, remember to reach out to The Garage Door Repair Guys of Edmonton. With their expertise, you can ensure a seamless blend of style and functionality for your garage.