Garages are more than just a space to park your car. They often double up as workshops, storage rooms, or recreational areas.
Hence, it’s essential to ensure that they are protected from external elements, and one effective way to achieve this is through a good garage door seal.
Why Are Garage Door Seals Important?
Garage door seals are essential for a variety of reasons:
- Weather Protection: They prevent rain, snow, and wind from entering your garage. Which is crucial, especially during Edmonton’s harsh winters.
- Pest Prevention: A good seal can deter rodents and bugs from entering your garage.
- Energy Efficiency: Proper seals prevent drafts, helping maintain a consistent temperature inside the garage and, subsequently, your home.
How to Seal Garage Door Sides and Top?
Sealing your garage door might seem daunting, but with patience, it’s a task that is relatively easy:
- Clean the Area: Before applying any seal, ensure that door edges are clean. Dust and debris can prevent the seal from adhering properly.
- Choose the Right Seal: Various seals are available, so choose one that suits your door type and specific needs.
- Measure and Cut: Measure the door’s sides and top, then cut the seal accordingly.
- Install the Seal: Start from one end and slowly work your way to the other, making sure the seal adheres evenly and without bubbles. For some seals, you might require a specific adhesive, while others might be self-sticking.
- Test the Door: After installing the seal, open and close the door a few times to ensure that the seal is working correctly and not obstructing the door’s movement.
Need Professional Help? Click here.
Different Types of Garage Door Seals
Understanding the range of garage door seals available can help you make a more informed choice:
- Threshold Seals: These are placed directly on the floor and form a bump that the door rests upon when closed. They offer excellent protection against water and drafts.
- Bottom Seals: Attached to the bottom of the garage door, they provide a soft barrier between the door and the ground, helping to seal gaps.
- Side & Top Seals (Weatherstripping): These seal gaps between the door frame’s sides and top. They’re essential for preventing drafts, especially during Edmonton’s windy days.
- Brush Seals: These feature bristles that act as a barrier, commonly used on commercial garage doors. It can be a beneficial choice for homes near wooded areas.
- Vinyl Seals: Vinyl is a popular material choice as it remains flexible during the cold Edmonton winters.
Finding the Best Garage Door Seal Edmonton
Given the climatic conditions of Edmonton, not just any seal will do. You’d need something durable and effective. When shopping for a garage door seal in Edmonton, consider the following:
- Material: Opt for seals made of robust materials like rubber or vinyl, which can withstand temperature changes.
- Profile: The profile of the seal (T-end, bead, etc.) needs to match the retainer on your garage door.
- Width: Given Edmonton’s snowy winters, a wider seal might be more beneficial as it offers better insulation.
A properly sealed garage door is the first step towards a more comfortable, energy-efficient, and pest-free garage.
While sealing your garage door might seem like a simple DIY task, it’s essential to get it right the first time. If you find yourself unsure or facing problems, don’t hesitate to call the experts.
The Garage Door Repair Guys of Edmonton are always here to assist you with all your garage door needs, ensuring that your garage remains the safe and cozy space you need it to be.